Many different industries and professions are regulated by a Codes of Conduct. A Code of Conduct prescribes standards that must be achieved and maintained by members of the industry or profession. These standards often include the following types of requirements:
- Compliance with, and knowledge of the relevant laws;
- That you act honestly in your dealings with others;
- To act ethically at all times;
- To maintain professional standards;
- To act in the best interests of the person to whom a duty of care is owed (eg a patient);
- To avoid conflicts of interest;
- To maintain confidentiality.
Some of the industries and professional institutions in which a Code of Conduct operates are set out below:
- NSW Health;
- Real Estate Institute of NSW;
- Medical Board of Australia ;
- Master Builders Association of NSW;
- Architects Code;
- Department of Education & Communities.
If you are employed in a profession or industry where a Code of Conduct exists, compliance with the Code may be incorporated into your employment contract, may be a condition of licencing and/or membership to the relevant professional institution.
A breach of the relevant Code of Conduct could result in sanctions being imposed. These sanctions may include de-registration or suspension from the institution and could provide grounds for legal proceedings being initiated against the contravening party.
If you are unclear of your obligations under a Code of Conduct, or if you are being investigated for a breach of the Code, we recommend that you contact our office and arrange an appointment to see one of our Compliance & Regulatory Law Solicitors in our Sydney office. For a complete listing please see our "Locations" tab.
This webpage (and any material or wording appearing on this webpage) is provided for general information purposes only and does not constitute any Legal Advice. It does not take into account your objectives, your instructions or all of the relevant facts and/or circumstances. Navado accepts no responsibility to any person who relies on the information provided on this website. We further refer you to our Disclaimer.
Sorry, but no Articles are available at this time.
Sorry, but no FAQs are available at this time.