Charities are like businesses in many ways. Similar to a business, it is important that your charity has the right structures in place to ensure that you meet all the legislative requirements and also that the structure of your charity is suitable for the charitable purpose which you wish to carry out. Navado’s charity lawyers can assist you in setting up your charity in the correct manner and can also advise you in other legal areas including contract negotiations, intellectual property, employment agreements and online content.
What is a charitable purpose?
Broadly speaking there is no conclusive legislative definition of what is a "charitable purpose". The meaning of what is a charitable purpose is generally based on decisions by the Court. Often the decisions of the court reflect the public’s perceptions of social attitudes and needs.
Categories of charitable purposes
Generally speaking “charitable purposes” can be separated out into four groups:
- The advancement of education;
- The advancement of religion;
- The relief of financial hardship; and
- Other charitable purposes for the benefit of the community.
The legislation sets out that a charitable purpose can also include any patriotic, philanthropic or benevolent purpose.
Due to the nature of charities and charitable organizations, it is important, if you are unsure about an issue relating to your charity, that you seek legal advice from an experienced charity lawyer. Navado Lawyers and Solicitors have assisted clients in the setting up, registration and management of charities and can assist you with your enquiry in a timely and efficient manner. If you are in need of legal advice about your charity, you can contact one of our charity lawyers and arrange a meeting in our Sydney CBD office or meet with us in one of our branch offices located across Sydney. To view a complete list of our branch offices, please peruse our "Locations" tab.
This webpage (and any material or wording appearing on this webpage) is provided for general information purposes only and does not constitute any Legal Advice. It does not take into account your objectives, your instructions or all of the relevant facts and/or circumstances. Navado accepts no responsibility to any person who relies on the information provided on this website. We further refer you to our Disclaimer.
Sorry, but no Articles are available at this time.
Sorry, but no FAQs are available at this time.
If you require assistance with a matter, you should make an appointment to see one of our Lawyers in one of the following locations:
- Associations Lawyer Sydney
- Sports Lawyer Sydney
- Charities Lawyer Sydney
- Associations Lawyer Parramatta
- Sports Lawyer Parramatta
- Charities Lawyer Parramatta
- Associations Lawyer North Sydney
- Sports Lawyer North Sydney
- Charities Lawyer North Sydney
- Associations Lawyer Rockdale
- Sports Lawyer Rockdale
- Charities Lawyer Rockdale
- Associations Lawyer Liverpool
- Sports Lawyer Liverpool
- Charities Lawyer Liverpool
- Associations Lawyer Gordon
- Sports Lawyer Gordon
- Charities Lawyer Gordon
- Associations Lawyer Baulkham Hills
- Sports Lawyer Baulkham Hills
- Charities Lawyer Baulkham Hills
- Associations Lawyer Campbelltown
- Sports Lawyer Campbelltown
- Charities Lawyer Campbelltown
- Associations Lawyer Bondi Junction
- Sports Lawyer Bondi Junction
- Charities Lawyer Bondi Junction
- Associations Lawyer Chatswood
- Sports Lawyer Chatswood
- Charities Lawyer Chatswood
- Associations Lawyer Miranda
- Sports Lawyer Miranda
- Charities Lawyer Miranda
- Associations Lawyer Bella Vista
- Sports Lawyer Bella Vista
- Charities Lawyer Bella Vista
- Associations Lawyer Erina
- Sports Lawyer Erina
- Charities Lawyer Erina