If you have been charged with a criminal offence, you should speak to a specialist Criminal Lawyer immediately. There are a number of issues you should be aware of when charged for a criminal offence, including your legal rights. The Criminal Lawyers at Navado Lawyers & Solicitors are well versed in a range of criminal charges and will provide you with the appropriate legal assistance and advice. We have assisted many clients with a wide range of criminal matters and we employ highly experienced advocates who can assist with Court appearances in all Courts, in the complete range of criminal matters.
Initial contact with Police
When a crime has been committed, the police will be investigating suspects. If you happen to be a suspect for whatever reason, it is always best to cooperate with the police and not cause any trouble to hinder their investigations. If you are subsequently charged, your cooperation will work in your favour. Keeping this in mind, you must also ensure you do not compromise your legal rights during the cooperation.
Ways in which you can cooperate with the police are as follows:
- If the police ask you for identification, provide them with the relevant documents. You do not need to make a scene at being stopped or detained. Stay in control of your language including body language and emotions;
- Do not resist a police officer in any circumstance. There are grave penalties for assaulting police during the execution of their duty;
- Be polite and respectful towards the police officer. However, ensure that you do not consent or agree to their requests without consulting a Criminal Lawyer. When a police officer says they want to ask a few questions, you should remember that generally speaking, you have a complete right to silence.
It is very important that you do not compromise your interests when approached by a police officer. Our Criminal Lawyers have extensive experience in assisting clients criminal charges. They will look after your interests and ensure your legal rights are maintained and protected.
Your Rights if Charged
When you are charged with a criminal offence, there are number of rights you are entitled to and should ask for if not given:
- You are innocent until proven guilty;
- You may remain silent without any inference that you are guilty;
- You can contact a legal representative;
- If you are charged with a summary offence you can ask the police for further information on the offence;
- The prosecution must prove that you are guilty beyond a reasonable doubt; and
- If the charge is dismissed, you cannot usually be charged again for that offence.
If it is found that you did not exercise your rights or were not aware of your rights at the time of arrest or at the time of being charged, you may be able to make an argument that you have not been afforded procedural fairness. It is very important to speak to a Criminal Solicitor as soon as possible when charged with a criminal offence. You need to protect your interests and ensure you set yourself up for a fair hearing.
If you have been charged with a criminal offence, come and speak to our highly experienced Criminal Lawyers today. We will usually be able to see you in our Sydney office or at one of our branch offices. The first consultation is free – contact our office today to book a consultation.
This webpage (and any material or wording appearing on this webpage) is provided for general information purposes only and does not constitute any Legal Advice. It does not take into account your objectives, your instructions or all of the relevant facts and/or circumstances. Navado accepts no responsibility to any person who relies on the information provided on this website. We further refer you to our Disclaimer.
Sorry, but no Articles are available at this time.
If you require assistance with a Criminal matter, you should make an appointment to see one of our Lawyers in one of the following locations:
- Criminal Lawyer Sydney
- Criminal Lawyer Parramatta
- Criminal Lawyer North Sydney
- Criminal Lawyer Hurstville
- Criminal Lawyer Liverpool
- Criminal Lawyer Gordon
- Criminal Lawyer Baulkham Hills
- Criminal Lawyer Campbelltown
- Criminal Lawyer Bondi Junction
- Criminal Lawyer Chatswood
- Criminal Lawyer Miranda
- Criminal Lawyer Bella Vista
- Criminal Lawyer Erina