If you have pets, it is very important to inspect the by-laws regulating the strata complex prior to purchasing the unit or entering into a lease agreement for the unit. The by-laws may:
- Prohibit the keeping of animals;
- Allow the keeping of animals if certain conditions are met;
- Allow the keeping of animals with the consent of the owners corporation; or
- Provide unconditional approval for the keeping of animals.
By reviewing the by-laws you will be able to ascertain where you stand with regards to the keeping of pets and thereafter you can implement any procedures required. These may include:
- Locating an alternate property;
- Making arrangements for a family member or friend to adopt your pet;
- Making enquiries as to how consent of the owners corporation can be obtained;
- Considering how the conditions of keeping a pet can be met and whether any issue of practicality or costs would impair your ability to comply;
A failure to comply with the by-laws will usually have its own consequences under the by-laws.
If the by-laws prohibit the keeping of pets or if consent is withheld, you may elect to challenge the by-laws or the decision of the owners’corporation. In this instance we recommend that you seek legal advice as soon as possible.
If you require assistance with your matter, you may wish to contact our office and arrange an appointment to see one of our Animal Law & Pet Law Solicitors in our Sydney office. By appointment, we can also arrange a time for you to see one of our lawyers at a branch offices. For a complete listing please see our "Locations" tab.
This webpage (and any material or wording appearing on this webpage) is provided for general information purposes only and does not constitute any Legal Advice. It does not take into account your objectives, your instructions or all of the relevant facts and/or circumstances. Navado accepts no responsibility to any person who relies on the information provided on this website. We further refer you to our Disclaimer.
Sorry, but no Articles are available at this time.
Sorry, but no FAQs are available at this time.