Under your will, you are able to make a bequest to an animal charity or a not-for-profit organisation (NFPO) such as the RSPCA. This bequest will usually provide for a certain amount of money or for a fixed percentage to be donated from the estate. The donations made will usually be applied by the charity or NFPO at their discretion.
If it is your intention to make a donation to a charity or NFPO under your will, it is important that you instruct a solicitor to draft your will for several reasons:
- There are many charities and NFPO that have a similar name and it is crucial to identify the correct beneficiary, otherwise your intended recipient may miss out on the donation;
- Many charities and NFPO require certain provisions to be expressly set out in the will;
- You can obtain advice as to the risks associated with gifting a specific sum of money to a beneficiary (this is not limited to charities or NFPO but also individual beneficiaries);
- Any ambiguity or confusion about your intentions may result in the donation being invalid;
- A will must be executed in accordance with certain protocols, and a failure to comply will result in the will in its entirety being invalid.
If you require assistance with making a donation to charity under your will, you may wish to contact our office and arrange an appointment to see one of our Animal Law & Pet Law Solicitors in our Sydney office. By appointment, we can also arrange a time for you to see one of our lawyers at a branch office. For a complete listing please see our "Locations" tab.
This webpage (and any material or wording appearing on this webpage) is provided for general information purposes only and does not constitute any Legal Advice. It does not take into account your objectives, your instructions or all of the relevant facts and/or circumstances. Navado accepts no responsibility to any person who relies on the information provided on this website. We further refer you to our Disclaimer.
Sorry, but no Articles are available at this time.
Sorry, but no FAQs are available at this time.