Our Family Lawyers and De Facto Lawyers have extensive experience assisting clients deal with a wide range of family law and de facto disputes. Our De Facto Lawyers are particularly familiar of the law surrounding de factos, namely, the different rules applying to the division of property and child custody.
The law provides that a person is in a de facto relationship with another person if:
- The parties are not legally married;
- The parties are not related by family; and
- The parties live together on a genuine domestic basis and as a couple.
Considerations which may be taken into account when determining whether a de facto relationship exists include the period in which the parties have been in a relationship, the duration of the relationship, whether there are any children of the relationship, financial dependence and ownership of property. Homosexual relationships are able to qualify as de facto relationships at law.
Alongside this recognition of a relationship which exists outside of marriage, is the recognition of separation rights, division of property and child custody. There are two different systems governing the separation of de factos and division of property. These arise from the Property Relationships Act 1984 (New South Wales Legislation) and the Family Law Act 1975 (Federal legislation). The New South Wales Legislation applies to de factos who separated prior to March 2009 and chose not to opt in to the Federal legislation.
The dissolution of a de facto relationship can be complicated. It is always best to consult the expertise of a Family Lawyer knows and understands the law. Our De Facto Lawyers have assisted clients deal with complicated family separations, sometimes involving children. Contact our office by telephone on (02) 9233 4048 or email to firstname.lastname@example.org to arrange a consultation with an experienced Family Solicitor. For a complete list of our office locations, please peruse our "Locations" tab.
This webpage (and any material or wording appearing on this webpage) is provided for general information purposes only and does not constitute any Legal Advice. It does not take into account your objectives, your instructions or all of the relevant facts and/or circumstances. Navado accepts no responsibility to any person who relies on the information provided on this website. We further refer you to our Disclaimer.
Sorry, but no Articles are available at this time.
Sorry, but no FAQs are available at this time.
If you require assistance with a Family matter, you should make an appointment to see one of our Lawyers in one of the following locations:
- Family Lawyer Sydney
- De Facto Lawyer Sydney
- Relationships Lawyer Sydney
- Divorce Lawyer Sydney
- Family Lawyer Parramatta
- De Facto Lawyer Parramatta
- Relationships Lawyer Parramatta
- Divorce Lawyer Parramatta
- Family Lawyer North Sydney
- De Facto Lawyer North Sydney
- Relationships Lawyer North Sydney
- Divorce Lawyer North Sydney
- Family Lawyer Rockdale
- De Facto Lawyer Rockdale
- Relationships Lawyer Rockdale
- Divorce Lawyer Rockdale
- Family Lawyer Liverpool
- De Facto Lawyer Liverpool
- Relationships Lawyer Liverpool
- Divorce Lawyer Liverpool
- Family Lawyer Gordon
- De Facto Lawyer Gordon
- Relationships Lawyer Gordon
- Divorce Lawyer Gordon
- Family Lawyer Baulkham Hills
- De Facto Lawyer Baulkham Hills
- Relationships Lawyer Baulkham Hills
- Divorce Lawyer Baulkham Hills
- Family Lawyer Campbelltown
- De Facto Lawyer Campbelltown
- Relationships Lawyer Campbelltown
- Divorce Lawyer Campbelltown
- Family Lawyer Bondi Junction
- De Facto Lawyer Bondi Junction
- Relationships Lawyer Bondi Junction
- Divorce Lawyer Bondi Junction
- Family Lawyer Chatswood
- De Facto Lawyer Chatswood
- Relationships Lawyer Chatswood
- Divorce Lawyer Chatswood
- Family Lawyer Miranda
- De Facto Lawyer Miranda
- Relationships Lawyer Miranda
- Divorce Lawyer Miranda
- Family Lawyer Bella Vista
- De Facto Lawyer Bella Vista
- Relationships Lawyer Bella Vista
- Divorce Lawyer Bella Vista
- Family Lawyer Erina
- De Facto Lawyer Erina
- Relationships Lawyer Erina
- Divorce Lawyer Erina