Our Family Lawyers and Adoption Lawyers have extensive experience assisting clients with the adoption of children. Our Adoptions lawyers can assist you, amongst other things, with the requirements of the adoption process and provide advice on the legal implications of adoption.
In New South Wales, when thinking about adopting a child, you will need to consider the Adoption Act 2000 (NSW) . This Act provides a formal legal process for the adoption of a child. There are a range of factors that need to be considered when looking at the adoption process. Our Adoption Lawyers are able to assist clients with adoption matters. Whether you are looking at adopting a child from another country or you want to adopt your step-daughter or step-son, our Adoption Lawyers in Sydney can provide you with expert advice.
Adopting a new born baby
Adopting a new born baby is the most common form of adoption. In order to adopt a new born baby, you will need to attend the Community Services Department. The Department will make an assessment. If you are approved, you will go onto the waiting list and when a child is available, you will be notified. This is the beginning of the adoption process. Single people can also adopt. If your application is rejected however, an appeal may be made to the Supreme Court.
Under section 8 of the Adoption Act, when making an assessment of an adoption application, the interests of the child will always be paramount. This means that the interests of the child must come first when considering whether the adoption should take place. Under section 11, the Act provides that it is a criminal offence to arrange an unauthorised adoption. It is best to seek the expertise of an experienced Adoption Lawyer. Contact our office to book a free first consultation with one of our Adoption Lawyers.
Adopting your step-child
Under section 87(c) of the Act, a step-parent has standing to make an application for adoption of their step-child. This means that you can go directly to the Supreme Court and make an application. Unlike the adoption of a new born baby, additional steps need to be taken where a step-parent intends to adopt their step-child. There have been suspicions as to the need for a step-parent to adopt their step-child where the step-child’s interests are already being taken care of, especially where both natural parents are still alive. It can also be very drastic for the child as the adoption will essentially mean that the tie with the natural parent or parents is terminated. Consult one of our Family Lawyers or Adoption Lawyers today to understand the full legal implications of such an adoption for all parties involved.
This webpage (and any material or wording appearing on this webpage) is provided for general information purposes only and does not constitute any Legal Advice. It does not take into account your objectives, your instructions or all of the relevant facts and/or circumstances. Navado accepts no responsibility to any person who relies on the information provided on this website. We further refer you to our Disclaimer.
Sorry, but no Articles are available at this time.
Sorry, but no FAQs are available at this time.
If you require assistance with a Family matter, you should make an appointment to see one of our Lawyers in one of the following locations:
- Family Lawyer Sydney
- De Facto Lawyer Sydney
- Relationships Lawyer Sydney
- Divorce Lawyer Sydney
- Family Lawyer Parramatta
- De Facto Lawyer Parramatta
- Relationships Lawyer Parramatta
- Divorce Lawyer Parramatta
- Family Lawyer North Sydney
- De Facto Lawyer North Sydney
- Relationships Lawyer North Sydney
- Divorce Lawyer North Sydney
- Family Lawyer Hurstville
- De Facto Lawyer Hurstville
- Relationships Lawyer Hurstville
- Divorce Lawyer Hurstville
- Family Lawyer Liverpool
- De Facto Lawyer Liverpool
- Relationships Lawyer Liverpool
- Divorce Lawyer Liverpool
- Family Lawyer Gordon
- De Facto Lawyer Gordon
- Relationships Lawyer Gordon
- Divorce Lawyer Gordon
- Family Lawyer Baulkham Hills
- De Facto Lawyer Baulkham Hills
- Relationships Lawyer Baulkham Hills
- Divorce Lawyer Baulkham Hills
- Family Lawyer Campbelltown
- De Facto Lawyer Campbelltown
- Relationships Lawyer Campbelltown
- Divorce Lawyer Campbelltown
- Family Lawyer Bondi Junction
- De Facto Lawyer Bondi Junction
- Relationships Lawyer Bondi Junction
- Divorce Lawyer Bondi Junction
- Family Lawyer Chatswood
- De Facto Lawyer Chatswood
- Relationships Lawyer Chatswood
- Divorce Lawyer Chatswood
- Family Lawyer Miranda
- De Facto Lawyer Miranda
- Relationships Lawyer Miranda
- Divorce Lawyer Miranda
- Family Lawyer Bella Vista
- De Facto Lawyer Bella Vista
- Relationships Lawyer Bella Vista
- Divorce Lawyer Bella Vista
- Family Lawyer Erina
- De Facto Lawyer Erina
- Relationships Lawyer Erina
- Divorce Lawyer Erina