Celebrating 22 years in Legal Practice
Stay connected with Navado:

Legal > Migration Law & Visa Law

Spouse Visas:

Overview FAQs Articles Locations

If you are in a spousal relationship, there are various visas that you may be eligible to apply for to live in Australia.  Partners and fiancés of Australian citizens, Australian permanent residents or eligible New Zealand citizens may apply to enter and/or remain permanently in Australia. These spousal or partner visa are available to married partners, people intending to get married or fiancés, and de facto partners which includes same-sex couples. Proper legal advice from an Immigration Lawyer may be of great assistance in these visa applications.

There are certain eligibility requirements to apply for a partner visa.  The person sponsoring their partner must be an Australian citizen/permanent resident or eligible New Zealand citizen. A permanent visa may be granted after two years if the spousal relationship is ongoing.

The Partner Visa allows the spouse or de facto partner of an Australian citizen, permanent resident or eligible New Zealand citizen to live in Australia. To get this visa, you must be married to or in a de facto relationship with an Australian citizen, Australian permanent resident eligible New Zealand citizen and you must be in Australia at the time of application. The temporary Partner visa is the first stage towards a permanent Partner visa. You must be in Australia when you apply and also when this visa is decided. You usually lodge one application form for your temporary and permanent visas and pay one application charge and the application is processed in two stages, about two years apart.

The temporary Partner visa permits residence in Australia until a determination is made regarding a permanent Partner visa. It allows for employment and study in Australia but does not allow access to government funding or enrolling in Medicare a national scheme for health-related care and expenses. You can include your dependent children in your application, but not other dependent relatives. Dependent applicants must also be in Australia when they apply. If you are later granted a permanent visa, you can reside in Australia indefinitely, work and study in Australia, apply for Australian citizenship (if you are eligible), sponsor eligible relatives for permanent residence, receive some social security payments, travel to and from Australia for five years from the date the visa is granted after which time you will need another visa to enter Australia.

There are certain documents required in applying for these visas. You need a valid passport or other travel document for this visa. If you plan to get a new passport, you should do so before applying for your visa. If you get a new passport after you have lodged your application, give the details of your new passport to one of our offices.  

We do not assist in processing these Visas, but focus on disputes in relation to these Visas. 

If you would like further information or wish to discuss your Immigration matter with us please do not hesitate to contact us by telephone on (02) 9233 4048 or by email to info@navado.com.au. 

Bookmark and Share

This webpage (and any material or wording appearing on this webpage) is provided for general information purposes only and does not constitute any Legal Advice. It does not take into account your objectives, your instructions or all of the relevant facts and/or circumstances. Navado accepts no responsibility to any person who relies on the information provided on this website. We further refer you to our Disclaimer.

Sorry, but no Articles are available at this time.

Sorry, but no FAQs are available at this time.

If you require assistance with a matter, you should make an appointment to see one of our Lawyers in one of the following locations:

  • Sydney

Our Locations

  • Migration Lawyer Sydney
  • Immigration Lawyer Sydney
  • Visa Lawyer Sydney
  • Migration Lawyer Parramatta
  • Immigration Lawyer Parramatta
  • Visa Lawyer Parramatta
  • Migration Lawyer North Sydney
  • Immigration Lawyer North Sydney
  • Visa Lawyer North Sydney
  • Migration Lawyer Rockdale
  • Immigration Lawyer Rockdale
  • Visa Lawyer Rockdale
  • Migration Lawyer Liverpool
  • Immigration Lawyer Liverpool
  • Visa Lawyer Liverpool
  • Migration Lawyer Gordon
  • Immigration Lawyer Gordon
  • Visa Lawyer Gordon
  • Migration Lawyer Baulkham Hills
  • Immigration Lawyer Baulkham Hills
  • Visa Lawyer Baulkham Hills
  • Migration Lawyer Campbelltown
  • Immigration Lawyer Campbelltown
  • Visa Lawyer Campbelltown
  • Migration Lawyer Bondi Junction
  • Immigration Lawyer Bondi Junction
  • Visa Lawyer Bondi Junction
  • Migration Lawyer Chatswood
  • Immigration Lawyer Chatswood
  • Visa Lawyer Chatswood
  • Migration Lawyer Miranda
  • Immigration Lawyer Miranda
  • Visa Lawyer Miranda
  • Migration Lawyer Bella Vista
  • Immigration Lawyer Bella Vista
  • Visa Lawyer Bella Vista
  • Migration Lawyer Erina
  • Immigration Lawyer Erina
  • Visa Lawyer Erina
Quick enquiry
  • Request an appointment
Stay connected
Ask an expert