A variation can be a variation to the terms of a contract or a variation in the scope or character of the work required to be undertaken under a construction contract. Variations generally arise in the following circumstances:
- Where the principal requires an adjustment to the work
- Where the contractor requires an adjustment to the work – for example when faced with an unforeseen difficulty such as tougher than usual ground due to bedrock or prolonged bad weather
- Where the details of the work stipulated by the contract falls short or is incomplete
The main issues that arise from variations are related to a subsequent variation to the contract price and delays. Contractors will often request a variation to the contract price in circumstances where they are required to undertake further or additional work. In such circumstances, disputes are not uncommon, particularly in circumstances where the principal and contractor are in a disagreement as to whether the additional work can be properly qualified as ‘additional’ or outside the scope of the contract. Additionally, delays caused by further or additional work may call for an increase in the contract price by adjustment of liquidated damages.
Many construction disputes in Sydney stem from variations and ambiguous construction contracts. Our Sydney Construction Lawyers have over a decade of experience assisting clients deal with disputes arising from construction contracts. Our Construction Lawyers have acted for builders, contractors and owners in a variety of delay and variation disputes. Contact our office to arrange a consultation. We have branch offices conveniently positioned across the Sydney metropolitan area including in Hurstville, Parramatta and Liverpool. For a full list of our office locations, with complete addresses, click on our Locations tab above or contact our main office line on (02) 9233 4048.
This webpage (and any material or wording appearing on this webpage) is provided for general information purposes only and does not constitute any Legal Advice. It does not take into account your objectives, your instructions or all of the relevant facts and/or circumstances. Navado accepts no responsibility to any person who relies on the information provided on this website. We further refer you to our Disclaimer.
Sorry, but no Articles are available at this time.
Sorry, but no FAQs are available at this time.
If you require assistance with a matter, you should make an appointment to see one of our Lawyers in one of the following locations:
- North Sydney
- Baulkham Hills
- Bondi Junction
- Building Lawyer Sydney
- Construction Lawyer Sydney
- Building Lawyer Parramatta
- Construction Lawyer Parramatta
- Building Lawyer North Sydney
- Construction Lawyer North Sydney
- Building Lawyer Hurstville
- Construction Lawyer Hurstville
- Building Lawyer Liverpool
- Construction Lawyer Liverpool
- Building Lawyer Gordon
- Construction Lawyer Gordon
- Building Lawyer Baulkham Hills
- Construction Lawyer Baulkham Hills
- Building Lawyer Campbelltown
- Construction Lawyer Campbelltown
- Building Lawyer Bondi Junction
- Construction Lawyer Bondi Junction